Some disadvantages of volatile anesthetics are listed here.
• Poor oxygen availability is one of the disadvantages of volatile anesthetics ; hypoxic insults are poorly tolerated due to dilution of air-oxygen mixture by ethe’ vapour.
• Patient breathes dry air because water vapour in the air condenses on the mask due to low temperature because of loss of heat of vapourization.
• Heat lossis high (300 cal/minute) because the patient has to moisten and heat the inspired air.
• High incidence of PONV (50%).
• Flammability is one of the disadvantages of volatile anesthetics
• Delayed recovery.
Draw-over technique is also used using the Epstein, Macintosh-Oxford Vapourisor or even a Flagg’s can in a difficult situation. Ether is also used on the Boyle’s machine.